Saturday, November 2, 2019

So that happened...


The first person to contact me about the beach cruiser bicycle we have for sale bought it.  I have actually met the lady before, when I first started going outside for physical therapy: she had a hip done by the same doctor, six months before me.  She stopped back then to tell me how it didn't turn out like she had hoped... just what a guy wants to hear while gimping along.  ;-)

She responded to my ad for the bike yesterday, but this morning was as soon as she could come by.  She looked at it and said, "It's perfect - just what I want.  The one I have now is rusting away."  Life on the salty coast.

I told her to take it for a ride, and I would make any seat or handlebar adjustments for her.  While she took off, her husband asked me, "What's under the cover?  Is that a Harley?"

"Not quite - it's a little Honda scooter.  I'm going to have that for sale after I change the oil and take a few photos.  You interested?"

He said, "No, but I have a friend who is looking for another scooter.  Can I tell him about this one?"

"Absolutely."

I didn't think anything would come of it.

About a half hour later, the doorbell rang.  The guy at the door introduced himself and asked, "I hear you have a scooter for sale; a Honda.  Can I take a look at it?"

"You sure can."  Joan grabbed the key while I took him to where the scoot was sitting, under cover.  I started it for him, he looked it over, and asked what I wanted.  I told him the price I would be asking, after I get the oil changed and get it shined up.  He made me a low-ball bid.  We discussed things a bit, he came up on his price (not quite to my counter-offer), and said, "I'll give you $50 less, and I'll do the oil change."

I don't have to run an ad... no crazy-ass tire kickers, and I don't have to do any other work to the scoot.  "Deal."

He told me he couldn't pick it up for a couple weeks, but paid me for it on the spot (thank you PayPal).  I told him I would keep it insured and under the cover until he comes back for it.  No, he isn't a scammer - he lives about a block from us.  In my walking, I have gone by his place and saw that he has a Yamaha Zuma that he rides.  (This PCX will smoke that Zuma.)  He has a son who wants a scooter, and always wants to ride his Zuma.  Problem solved.  And, an easy sale for me.

Know anyone who wants to buy a Hobie kayak?  ;-)


No comments: