Monday, November 1, 2021

Aloha Monday...

 

It pays to advertise.  Last week, we started watching White Lotus on HBO.  It takes place in a tropical resort (filmed at the Four Seasons Resort in Wailea, Maui) called the White Lotus in the series.  It is a satirical comedy-drama, six episodes.  Of course, everyone in the show is wearing aloha-type resort wear.

When we were still working in the studio, I wore aloha shirts most days.  As it became "a thing" where you saw more guys wearing them, I switched to performance and fishing shirts (no, I still don't fish) after we retired.  Seeing the people in White Lotus in aloha wear, I said to Joan this morning, "I think I'll wear an aloha shirt today instead of a t-shirt."

She said, "You still have about 10 of them in the back of your closet."  I doubted that.  When I got out of the shower, she showed me exactly 10 aloha shirts... 3 of which are pricey, 7 that I would consider everyday wear.  I stopped wearing them when we were boat cruising... no room for an ironing board on Wild Blue.  ;-)  (Yes, sometimes even a very casual shirt needs a bit of ironing to look sharp.)

I already had black shorts laid out for today, so she suggested one with a black background with tan palm leaves design...


 

Joan took these photos out on our dock.  This shirt has tails, so I used to always wear it tucked it... Joan said, "No leave the tails out - that's the way guys wear them these days.  I've even seen guys wear a shirt untucked with a sportcoat."

"Not on me you haven't."  So, we compromised and I wore it untucked.  (Practical reason: it works better for concealed carry.)

I guess I looked grown-up enough that she asked if I'd chaffeur her around on a couple shopping stops.  I suggested that she drive the first leg so she could set the memory seat in the Equinox to her liking.  Done... and done.  I also drove the shopping cart around in Walmart.  It's what I do.

Besides the HBO series, I saw an ad on Facebook for Reyn Spooner - it was for face masks to match their aloha shirts.  Reyn Spooner was one of my favorites back in the day.  Today, I had to clash, with my black and tan aloha shirt and a blue camo mask.  I'm OK with not being matchy-matchy.  ;-)

It's been some years since we've gone to Hawaii; it used to be a regular thing for us to relax after a busy work season.  Not much need for that when you live in a sub-tropical climate.  Still, the landscape in Hawaii is spectacular: lush mountains that lead right down to the beach.  Only flat terrain here in the Tropical Tip.  I feel the call of the islands once in a while... but it isn't strong enough these days to make me want to deal with the flight to get there.  It was a different situation when we lived in the frozen northland.

Aloha!

 


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Nice aloha shirt! I have a similar one, and also another black one with ukulele instead of palm leaves. We have a strong interest in Hawaiian music, culture, and language. I play ukulele and slack-key guitar and can even sing about a half-dozen songs in Hawaiian language. We have attended Aloha Music Camp three times, but not recently. It is really too bad that I'll never get to the islands again, as I also refuse to put up with the modern hassle and discomfort of flying, for any reason.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

For a 20 year stretch, that annual escape to Hawaii was a treat for us. I have a ukulele that I haven't pulled out in a couple years, never learned slack-key (or any other alternate tunings). I briefly considered a boat captain job offer on Maui back in 2011, but it didn't include housing... not to mention the quarantine situation for Izzy.

Commercial flying used to be a pleasant experience. I remember getting on a Delta flight from the mainland heading to Kahalui - Hawaiian music was playing as we boarded, with scenes of the islands on the screens; nice ambiance.