Thursday, November 4, 2021

She likes me best...

 

"Not Rufus - he's not a she!"  Or, maybe you were thinking: "Joan likes me better than Rufus?"  Depends on the day.  I'm kidding... she is always telling Rufus how big and handsome he is.  Today, though, I'm talking the Equinox.

We've tried out most of the features.  It was a cold, rainy, blustery day here... when we went to pick up a pizza and some other goodies from Domino's, Joan tried out her heated seat.  It was 63º - she said, "It works great!"

I wanted to try out the Voice Command on the Navigation.  I know the way to Domino's - I wanted to see if she (the car) did.  I said, "Find Domino's Pizza."

She (the car) said, "Do you want audio, climate control, or navigation?"

I said, "I want Domino's Pizza."

She said, "Do you want Romano's Pizza?"  I think the nearest one is in Houston.

I said, "No - find point of interest."

She thought for a moment, then said, "Say what you are looking for."

"I'm looking for Domino's Pizza."

Joan said, "Just say 'pizza'."  

I said, "Pizza," and up popped a list of nearby pizza places.  Domino's was third on the list.  We're navigating!  It wanted to take me past Domino's, then around it, then back to it.

Now, to be fair, neither of us are new to voice command.  Joan has Alexa set up in several rooms in the house.  Siri and I are on a first name basis.  We've been using Voice Command on our portable GPS for years.  But, I have to figure out how the car likes to be talked to; or, switch to Apple CarPlay and go with what I'm used to.  We (well Joan went in) picked up the pizza and headed for home.  Joan said, "See if it will navigate home."

When I talked, the car responded.  Not always what I wanted, but she responded.  When Joan talked, the car ignored her.  When Joan talked again, the car said, "Joan, please butt out - Jim and I are having a conversation."

That may not have been exactly what she said, but it is what I heard.  Regardless, the car wouldn't answer Joan.  I think the Equinox likes me best.  Not that it's a contest.  But, if it was, I'm winning.

--------

After enjoying our meal, I bundled up for a walk...


62º, wind out of the north at 22 gusting higher; the wind has a bite to it.


2 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

jim,

bought a new truck last year with all the fancy features you have been describing.

well, i took a 10+ hour drive to visit family in Myrtle Beach and an alarm illuminated on the instrument cluster (a picture of a steaming cup)---most alarms get my attention and i was scrambling trying to figure out what was failing on the new truck before i damaged it beyond repair.

well, my wife pulled out the manual and learned that the truck was telling me to take a coffee break-----it was just what I needed.

Cbrat Bob

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob - Now, THAT is smart technology! Did the navigation point you to the nearest Starbucks? ;-) According to this owners manual, there is an "alert" that sounds if it thinks you aren't actively steering; something in conjunction with that Lane Keep Assist. I like the idea of the coffee cup better... or maybe something with a Dairy Queen logo?