Thursday, May 16, 2019

A new day...


I am playing by the rules: got up this morning and used the walker to get Rufus fed.  Joan came out to the kitchen to check on me... yep, I'm doing fine.  As part of getting back to our routine, she went back to bed... so Rufus could give her some snuggle time after his breakfast.

I switched to the cane and made her a cup of coffee, which I delivered to the bedroom.  May not seem like a big deal, but it was great to be able to carry that cup.  It makes my heart happy to see those two snuggled up... the furry boy gives good snuggles.

Then, back to the kitchen, where I got my own hot chocolate and ice water.  Again, a big deal - sure beats stuffing a water bottle in my waistband and shuffling back to my chair.  Or being totally dependent on Joan to bring me everything.  A long way to go but this is a refreshing start.

----------------

Speaking of refreshing, the big deal today was lunch out.  Not just drive to place and I wait in the car while Joan goes inside, but we actually went in together, sat down at a table, and had lunch.  Russo's Italian.  It was delicious!


That is a happy boy.  Seems like it has been since forever that we have had a lunch out.  In reality, it has been 3 weeks.  I know that because 3 weeks ago I was doing my pre-op at the hospital and we went to Chick-fil-a afterwards.  I was keeping the meal light because I knew I was going under the knife the next day.  Well, it was more like under the saw and chisel.  Maybe a ball peen hammer.  And a torque wrench.  Robo-Grips.  And a pry bar.

Truth be told, I don't remember a whole lot about those first 4 or 5 days.  The reality and the bad dreams blurred together.  My buddy, Earl, told me, "The first two weeks are going to suck."  Big ol' understatement.

A whole lot came together the past couple days to progress to "part time with the cane."  It was sooner than I expected.  I thought it would be: "Yes, you can now use a cane," and I would toss off the walker like Forest Gump ran out of his leg braces.  Nope.  I definitely am still using the walker when I get out of bed.  Or when I went to feed Rufus.  Getting in and out of the shower.  Not sure what the warranty is on this new hip, but I don't want to fall and mess it up.

People have been encouraging: "Now you can really go after it!"  Well, I kinda have been going after it; but with the cane, I have one hand free to carry it.  ;-)  After lunch today, I went after it... "it" being: a nap.  In the recliner. 

:-)




2 comments:

Bob said...

Big progress in just a few days. It will only get better and that more quickly from here on out. Maybe a three wheeler is in your future for a bit? Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hey Bob,

I'll hobble around on two plus a cane until I'm ready for two wheels again. I'm told it's good exercise. ;-)