Friday, May 24, 2019

On a scale of 1 to 10...


If I was told I was "an 8 1/2," I'd be feeling pretty good about that.  I have to be honest: I may not be able to get by on my looks much longer.  It concerns me that I may have to learn an actual skill.

Yeah, I'm digressing again.

This has been a tough week.  Today is 4 weeks since the surgery.  After the muscle-popping set-back last Saturday, it has been a week of taking it easier, but still working on the mobility.  I was "demoted" from the cane back to the walker.  The muscles on the side of my hip hurt like hell.  I had to alter exercises to not cause any more pain, but not let the work I'd done slip away.  How much is enough?  Or, too much?

Today, when the PT guy put me through my paces, he said, "You are doing much better.  It shows."  He cleared me to use the walker "as needed," but I am back to using the cane most of the time once again.  If I can build those hip/butt muscles without popping something again, the progress will go faster.

I let him know we went out for lunch yesterday, and I tolerated the steps with no issue.  With yesterday's outing and today's performance, he also cleared me to walk outside again... "With little increases each day."

He asked me to try a step without the cane... "Nope!  You are not ready for that!"  He had me walk around the kitchen island without the cane, supporting myself on the countertop.  Try it with just your fingertips.  (still OK)  Just two fingers.  (not so good)  Just one finger... "You're just messing with my head, aren't ya?" I asked.

"Soon, you will be able to take a couple steps without any support - as long as you have something like the countertop to support yourself if necessary.  One finger does not support you any better than two fingers."

"So, are you saying 'it's in my head' 'cause the pain tells me it's in my hip."

"No, you are doing fine."

We went outside and he had me walk up the street a bit.  "Your gait is good.  You need to lean less on the cane.  On a scale from one to 10, your walking today is an 8 1/2"  A good score from the Polish judge!  And a definite improvement from Wednesday's session.

More work to do, but I feel I am back on track again.  One step at a time.


No comments: