Thursday, May 2, 2019

Day 5...


I have lost track of some of the days; or I remember bits of them... and certainly don't remember some parts.

Yesterday, I established a working relationship with the physical therapist.  Thank goodness for these traveling workers.  This guy painted no pretty images of "you'll do fine" or laid out any unrealistic "schedules."  The main thing he said that stuck with me was: "The first two weeks, the plan is to survive.  After that, you should be beyond the shock of the pain and limitations, and we'll start working on a best way to proceed."

The blocked up stomach and constipation is worse than I could have expected.  The swelling on the leg is more than I expected.  The limitations of movement and being able to reach things is worse than I expected.  I admit, I expected to be outside, moving with the walker... nope - any getting around away from the house is off-limits for the next couple weeks.  Right now, it is "move 'till it hurts, then rest and ice.  One lap of the inside of the house might be therapeutic, more than one lap may be harmful.

Some of the things we bought for access (like the toilet riser) are more of a hindrance than a help in actual use.  Every movement takes longer with more concern about stability.  Seriously, you have to be concerned about falling off a toilet?  Any modesty is gone.  A successful bathroom excursion means you didn't piss on yourself in some manner.  The chance for one hour of painfree rest is a lofty, unachievable as yet, goal.


No comments: