Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Wood vs Carbon Fiber...


Yeah, this topic comes up a lot on the guitar forum where I spend the most time... of course, it is specifically a carbon fiber guitar sub-forum, so you know the preference there.

Frankly, they each have their attributes.  Wood is traditional; carbon fiber is contemporary.  Wood can be carved and put together piece by piece; carbon fiber is formed, generally in a mold.  Wood is affected by temperature and humidity; carbon fiber isn't.

In the last few years, I have been all about the carbon fiber.  Last week, it was determined that I could really use an update.  A wood model that has served me for years is showing the wear: the main joint had loosened to the point where I began to doubt its structural integrity.  I have others, so I was looking more for function; Joan was being swayed by style: decorated with flames and it folds!

She said, "You are going to have this for a while, so you might as well get something nice and not have to worry about replacing it."

I said, "Flames?  You think those are necessary?"  What can I say - she was very encouraging with the first carbon fiber guitar I bought because the fretboard had inlaid sharks as markers.

I relented.

Today, the new model arrived.  It is pretty.  The folding function may come in handy if I need to keep it compact when not in use.  And the flames?  Well, they are kinda cool.  What I first noticed was the weight... or rather the lack of weight: it weighs substantially less than the wood one it is replacing.  And it feels very sturdy... and sleek.  I do like the look of the carbon fiber weave... and while the flames don't add to the function, it is an interesting style choice.  Joan said, "It will be a conversation starter."  Not that I am looking for that.

I was playing my Emerald X7 when FedEx dropped it off.  No, this isn't made by Emerald, but it is functional and stylish...


I think I will be able to walk faster thanks to the flames.  ;-)


No comments: