Saturday, May 4, 2019

Day to day...


A week in now.  Well, a week and a day.  We're still trying to find our routine.  This morning, we tried doing the physical therapy "routine" before cleaning up.  Sleep and getting rest is still a challenge.  I have never been a "back sleeper," and there is no way to get me on to my side (and get sleep) at this point.  Oh, I can be "rolled" onto my side and propped in place with pillows, but there would be no sleeping like that.

I have been advised to stay hydrated (helps with the ever-present constipation)... which means I have to pee all the time.  Which means Joan is awake, as she will not let me move around on my own.  I still can't get in and out of bed on my own at this point.  So, while every move is a challenge to me at this point, Joan is affected by it, too... if I am up, she is up.  She may not be dealing with the pain, but the care-giver job doesn't come with regular breaks or scheduled time off.  I worry that my situation is wearing her out.

One of the side effects of the pain meds is lack of appetite.  Today, I am trying extending the time between doses by adding Tylenol.  So far, it doesn't feel much different from the "heavy" pain meds.  When Joan asked what I wanted for lunch today, I had an opinion: "Some kinda of pasta."  She made a great penne pasta with red sauce and fresh baked bread bites - it really was a delight!

Another change in routine today: I wanted to try taking an "on my back" nap in the bed today.  Apparently, it worked OK, because Joan took this photo of Rufus and I sharing nap time...


Besides capturing a photo while Rufus and I sleep through it, Joan makes sure we are all fed and cared for.  Clean up needs attended to.  I feel bad that I can't take care of her right now.

She also put me through the PT routines today; she has each exercise written down, with the moves and the reps.  I know she worries about hurting me vs doing enough that there is improvement.  Right now, the biggest issue I have with the PT routines is each additional "stretch" causes pain, and when I come back to repeating that exercise, it is like starting from scratch again.  I am aware of the saying, "No pain, no gain"... what I seem to be dealing with is "Pain, lose any gain."

We keep pressing on.

-----------------------

Vocabulary:

This experience has broadened my vocabulary - I've become personally familiar with words like: constipated.  Stool softener.  Laxative.  Prune juice.

Stephanie asked me about prune juice.  Seems she has never had prune juice.  And for the record, I had never had prune juice until this week.  Prune juice is one of those schtick words from a comedy bit.  You say it and people chuckle.

Steph asked me what it tastes like.  I said, "It tastes like a liquid form of what you hope will appear after drinking prune juice."

She was grossed out by that.  Go figure.


3 comments:

Bob said...

Hey Jim,
Recovery is like cleaning out a dairy barn, you just keep on shoveling out the _______! One of the hardest things for me to accept as I near 72 in July is that I cannot do what I should not have done when I was able to do the things I should never have done!!! Such as? Hang gliding or as it is actually known, kite and pilot crashing. Falling off of motorcycles instead of keeping them upright on two wheels. Going down ski slopes that were in reality ski accidents about to happen. And so forth. Plus the body is like any machine, it wears out and we don't always give it the best fuel or maintenance. All that being said, heal up so you can ride the scoots and use the boat! Sounds like your nurse is is on top of things and the cat is always on top of things.
Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob. I'm doing my best to do the PT. Pushing it seems to make it hurt more with no lessening of the stiffness. While I am getting around better with the walker, that is more a result of technique rather than healing.

Joan seems to know when I need a push and when I need some sympathy. Poor Rufus just doesn't know what to think... he just knows that something isn't right. He is not doing his typical "jump on my lap and give me a head bump"... considering his size, I am grateful to not have him jump on me, but I know we both miss the routine. He just seems to know to be gentle around me. Such a good boy.

Hudson River Boater said...

If you're taking a Opioid Painkiller-- STOP NOW!! I knew a guy that OD'ed on them @ 64 Years old after two Hip Replacements.. My Stepmother had hip replacement and she ended up needing help to get off the Oxy.. I would hope that Dr.s are not giving them out like Tic Tacs anymore-- I have plenty of them.. I have never taken any though..
I feel for Ya-- I had Bersites in my right hip.. Tier Jerking Pain for two weeks-- Then the Pain just faded away..

Be well Jim..