Saturday, May 18, 2019

These boots are made for walkin'...


If you said, "Nancy Sinatra, 1966," you're getting a bit long in the tooth... but, you get 100 bonus points.

No, I am not wearing boots.  But, I do have some slip-on shoes that work OK for walking.  Well, the limited walking I am doing.  Yesterday, after walking to the corner and back, the PT guy released me to walk "whatever your hip can take - it will tell you when you are done.  Just be sure that you have planned for the distance, so you can get yourself back home."  Good thinking.

So, today, I doubled that distance.  About a whole block (we don't have city blocks on this island).  My hip told me I was done.  That hip can be a whiner.

I am progressing on the other exercises.  Stuff that I couldn't do a week ago is now doable.  The reclining leg lifts are still a bitch, but I am up to 15 reps on two of the three exercises; the goal is to get to 20 reps.

Always a new exercise gets introduced; I call this latest one "the karate kid"... nothing to do with "wax on, wax off," it is more like that bird-looking pose at the end of match... well, except I don't have both hands raised up... just one hand, while the other is there for support.  This exercise is all about putting full weight on the hip.

I am using the walker less and less; I think tonight I will have the cane beside the bed for those middle of the night visits to the commode.

I visited with my brother-in-law John today; gave him a "progress report."  Yep, progress.  He told me that since I had the surgery, his hip has started hurting.  "Don't be having sympathy pains for me - you don't want any of this."  ;-)  He asked about the pain... "I'm sure it is less, but I haven't hit that 'break even point' - if it hurts less, you work it more, which makes it hurt more."

Hot and humid in the Tropical Tip.  The weather weasels are using the "feels like" temperature... it's like "wind chill" that gets used up north: no bearing on the real temperature, just another number with the humidity considered so you can enjoy the misery.  ;-)  Fortunately, my outings are still short enough that I'm not a sweat-ball when I get back to the house.


No comments: