Friday, May 3, 2019

Therapy...


Joan and I have discussed this: how could anyone with a full-time job work while recuperating from something like this hip replacement - the amount of time it takes for every little task is overwhelming.  I am fortunate that Joan signed on for that whole "better or worse" thing, but she keeps reminding me that "her turn will come."

It has only been one week since that early morning check-in at the hospital.  Then what felt like a never-ending wait for my turn in the OR.

So, one week into this, we are still learning what to expect; certainly not into a routine.  During my clean-up time this morning (there is no "quick jump into the shower"), every move has to be planned because of the "fall risk."  We are still trying to time and regulate blood pressure and pain meds.  With only 2 in-home PT visits, I am trying to work on "routines" to do enough without doing too much; learning how much activity will leave me too sore for the next go 'round; trying to push and stretch just a bit more.

Joan took a photo of this activity:


Nothing like a big furry kitty tucked in to help relax.  We know that Rufus's routine has been turned all around, too.  He doesn't jump up on my lap - thankfully, he waits for Joan to carefully set him there.  The chair he and I have sat in since he first came home with us has been replaced by an electric lift chair - it looks and sounds different, and Joan is keeping a sheet on it, since it has become my place of comfort.

Therapy is more than just moving stuff - sometimes, it is the rest in between that we all need.

-------------

Today's PT went well; more things introduced into the routine.  Yeah, this really is like a full-time job.  Albert (the PT) said he could see improvement, even from yesterday.  When it was done, there was a bit of discussion about "motivation"... "I can't wait to get back on a scooter.  The doctor is saying that I won't be released to ride, regardless of how this all goes.  I guess I will have to fire him."

He said, "It is important that you participate in your own healing."

He also commented about Rufus: "That is a big cat."

"He has been very careful around me since all of this started."


After a bit of a break, I asked Joan to bring me my X7...


May still be the pain meds, but I am having difficulty staying with one task, and focusing.

-------

I did hear from Mark this afternoon; he has been working on some new tracks.  We'll see if I can focus to learn something new... and I may have to make some adjustments to any drumming technique.


No comments: