Monday, May 6, 2019

One step at a time...


Just finished the in-home physical therapy for today.  It feels like it should all be happening faster, but the physical therapist said, "It will take however much time it takes."  And probably some other philosophical stuff.  He showed me new exercises and had me walk about 3 times further than I have gone to date.  There is more "upright work": marching in place, sideways leg lifts (who knew that would hurt WAY more when lifting the good leg??), easy squats, etc, etc.

Truly, I see significant improvement in the past week.  "Significant" is a relative term - it will definitely be a while before I am moving at even my gimpy ol' pre-surgery pace.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the pain would lessen.  Get it?  Wouldn't hurt my feelings?

Who says you can't have a sense of humor about this situation?

His last missive to me: "Do not compare your progress with that of anyone else - everyone has their own pace.  Your job is to continue to improve."  Then, he told me about his particular recovery from knee replacement surgery last year... but, I ignored him.

;-)

I think that's funny.  May be the meds.  😂

-------------

Joan just got back from picking up mail.  Our mail boxes are in an Owners Activity Center building.  This is not a retirement village, but there are plenty of people our age and older who live here.  You tend to see people as you come and go to get your mail.  Joan said, "It was 'Cane & Walker Central' out there today: everyone seemed to be using some sort of mobility appliance."

I think it is like when you buy a car - you then notice that same kind of car everywhere, where you didn't see them before.  She has been around me and my walker.  A lot.


No comments: