Friday, May 31, 2019

That's normal...


A visit to the surgeon's office today - the 5 week check up.  We were early, and wound up visiting with a guy who got a new knee 2 weeks ago.  I remember that look of pain and lack of sleep.  He wasn't sure what they were going to do with this 2 week check up.  I told him, "They will take X-rays, look over your incision, ask you about the pain, tell you you're doing great, and that will be it.  If you get the same person I had, she looked like she was in Junior High."

I think he was relieved to know it wouldn't be anything more extensive than that.  He said, "I seem to cry a lot."

I told him, "I was downright weepy frequently.  It's the meds  And the fact that you are in shock that it isn't the cakewalk people told you it would be.  It gets better."  He seemed pleased to hear that.

They called us in early, had a nurse look me over and ask if I had any questions, then they turned me over to a nice nurse practitioner.  Everything I asked about, she said, "Yeah, that's normal."

I asked about the scar position and size... "Yeah, that's normal."
I asked about the giant bruise on my tailbone... "Yeah, that's normal."
I asked about the pain since my set-back... "Yeah, that's normal."
My leg has swollen some since I got off the blood thinner... "Yeah, that's normal."
My testicles are the size of bowling balls, one is green the other is purple... "Yeah, that's - what?"  I'm kidding.  The nads are fine, thanks for asking.

She did ask to see the incision.  I dropped my shorts and skivvies enough to see that big ol' scar and she said, "That looks real nice."  So, better than "normal."  Also, it has been a long time since I have been told "That looks real nice" when dropping trou.

One big deal today: I can take Ibuprofen again!  I am off the blood thinner; you can't take Ibuprofen when on that stuff.  Tylenol does nothing.  Hydro-codone is not a good fit for me: all the side effects without much of the pain relief.  So, time to stock up on Ibuprofen until this hurtin' stuff goes away... and, they tell me it should go away... but for now, if it hurts... yeah, that's normal.

After the doctor's office visit, we went out for a late lunch like real people.  Now, that is more my idea of normal.  I took some Ibuprofen when we got to the restaurant.  It may be wishful thinking, but it sure seems like the pain was less within an hour.

Both the nurse and the nurse practitioner said, "Walking is the best thing you can do for your hip.  Use the cane until you can walk normal without it."  (A bit non-commital as far as "How long before I can dump the cane?")

Another first today: before going to the doctor's office, we stopped at Sam's Club to get a few things.  Joan was concerned about me having to walk around in there; I said, "I'll use one of their electric carts."  Yep.  Some of those carts are nicer than others.  I got one of the not nicer than others, but it got me around.  Slower than I thought.  I never paid much attention to those in the past.  Seemed like there were quite a few people using them today.  Some of those people looked reasonably able-bodied.  One had a young mother with a kid on her lap... she would go a ways, get off the cart to get what she wanted, put it in the basket, then back onto the cart.  No, I have no idea what their situation is... but if the situation is "lazy," I hope they are not taking a cart from someone who truly needs it.

So, even though it was (mostly) dealing with medical stuff, a pretty good day.  When we got home, I went for my afternoon walk... extending the distance by one lot.  Figuring the size of each lot, I am over 2 1/2 city blocks now.  When I told the nurse today that I was up to about "2 blocks with each walk," she said: "That's about normal."

Normal?  Well, kinda.


No comments: