Sunday, May 12, 2019

Like a new man...


No, I'm not miraculously healed.  After looking our shower over (no handicap rails in it), the original PT person said, "No using the shower until we clear you for that."  There hasn't been any discussion of it, and I have become quite efficient at sponge bathing (boat person, remember?)... this morning, Joan suggested we try the shower.  And, when I saw "we", I meant me.  She taped Saran Wrap over the incision (still not supposed to get it wet) and I slowly got in.  "Slowly" (which is how I do most things these days) because there is no way to lead with the right foot going in or coming out of the shower.

On the bright side, it felt great to let the warm water flow all over me.  While I was in the hospital, Joan got a shower seat and a hand wand for my shower stall - works great.

No other new physical moves today, but this one was a delightful change of pace.  The exercises continue and my range of motion is improving; still not able to "dead lift" my left leg while lying down.  Apparently, that is key to move on from the walker to a cane.

-----------

Happy Mother's Day!  I was not able to get out to get a card for my lovely wife, but our daughter was thinking ahead and send cards from me and Rufus to give to Joan.  A bit of a payback from the days when the kid was small and Daddy gets something she can give to Mommy.

Before this surgery, we have had a morning routine: I get up and feed Rufus, he eats and goes back to bed to snuggle with Joan.  There has also been discussion that I should not be leaning over to the floor to pick up water and food bowls... this morning, I went for it.  While getting his food ready, I got the Rufus leg rubbing that I have missed.  He chowed down and headed for the bedroom.  With the walker, I can't carry anything, but I did get Joan's coffee ready to go... I just couldn't take it to her in bed.  She knew the thought was there and was happy to have her morning Rufus routine back.

Another small bit of normal back.




No comments: