Monday, May 20, 2019

I used to kid my dear ol' Mother...


... her social life had her spending a lot of time with doctors.  And, she liked it.  Not sure if it was something to do or if she felt better being told she was doing well.  Oh, she had plenty of medical issues over the years, but she would follow medical advice without question, and if her kidney function was up 1% over the previous visit, it was a triumph.  Conversely, a 1% decrease was a crushing blow.  She had different doctors for different issues, and seemed to look forward to each visit.

I didn't get that gene.  Another doctor's appointment this afternoon, back to the internist.  Pretty sure it is a follow-up to all the blood tests, blood pressure meds, that they started prior to the hip surgery.  An hour drive, wait in the office, go into another room where you wait some more, a visit, then an hour drive back home.  Kinda shoots the heck out of the day.

I had physical therapy this morning.  I do kinda look forward to that most of the time, because I can generally see/gauge the motion improvement and see what new exercise they'll come up with.  This morning's session was a definite step back while allowing whatever "popped" on Saturday time to heal.  Backed off on the exercises.

The therapist explained what likely happened, telling us about the "3 layers" of sutures used to close me up, and how the deepest layer of those sutures do not dissolve.  It's going to hurt for a while while the healing happens.

According to "the schedule," I have two PT sessions left.  Anything beyond that is up to the discretion of the doctor, and I've been told he isn't inclined to recommend more therapy.  It is the physical therapy that gives me a goal to work toward.  We'll see how that plays out.

In the meantime, I did get some sleep last night (didn't get any Saturday night); that helps with the recuperation.  Unfortunately, Joan hasn't been able to get her normal sleep, either.  She works hard to keep this household going while I can't do much.

One of us has been able to keep up with his normal sleepy-time...


He can sleep anywhere...


In that photo above, he is leaning his head on the metal legs of our dining chairs; doesn't look comfortable to me, but he seems OK with it.

--------------

All good at the doctor.  This was one of those "The doctor wants to see you again in 3 weeks" visits.  As near as I can tell, we could have done this over the phone.  But, we schlepped ourselves to Harlingen.  I think he was running out of blood things to test for, so had more blood drawn to check my cholesterol last time I was there.  Joan asked about it (she's always on top of things).  For the record, my cholesterol has always been low - what can I say, I process gravy the way most people process water.  It was 122.  So, I got that going for me.  ;-)

I hobbled around, using the cane and the walker today.  Other than this outing to the doctor, I was told (by the PT guy) no more walking outside until further notice.  I was doing good on the cane with distance and no pain.  Yeah, I'll get back there again.


No comments: