Thursday, May 30, 2019

Probably has something to do with the concert...


We had a great experience at the Billy Joel concert in Phoenix at Chase Field when we were there this winter.  When Mark and I got together after that, he worked up Piano Man.  We recorded that at his his house in March, but we didn't have microphones and other instruments.

Last night, I got some new tracks from Mark: three piano tracks and a vocal cue track.  "What's a vocal cue track?" you ask.  Thanks for asking.  While playing, Mark told me what change was coming, when to add the harmonica, and when to come in with the vocals.  With that track, I had his directions "in my ear" while recording.  And then, muted that track.  It worked slick.

I had some time this morning, and planned on just rehearsing.  I haven't picked up the harmonica in about a month and a half.  I was a bit rusty... but on the bright side, I haven't picked up any new bad habits.  ;-)

I practiced the singing, and adding the harmonica a couple times... then decided to lay down a track of each.  I thought it went slick.  I moved on to the bass.  The piano really drives the percussion, but I listened to an old Billy Joel cut of the song, and it had a quiet drum part.  One more track with drums.

And, the result...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/piano-man-v22

I sent this result back to Mark.  There is one track left, if he decides to add something else to it.  No guitar track on this.  I'm good with that.  (Almost like being a man of leisue.)



No comments: