Friday, May 10, 2019

Going with the house pet theme...


Joan is taking me for a ride today. Yep, in the car.  Hopefully, not to have me neutered.  Not like it would make a difference, but I would like to avoid any cutting for a while.

Yeah, I am kidding.  "The ride" is to go to the surgeon's office for my 2-week post-op check-up.  I cleaned up as normal today, but Joan brought out "grown up clothes" for this outing.  Not sure who we're trying to impress?  Maybe she is just tired of looking at me in a t-shirt?  So, I look like a grown up.  Well, a slow-moving, walker-using grown up.  I wonder if I'll get a treat while we're out?

I have no idea what the expectation is of this visit, just know that it is part of the procedure with this surgeon.  I will be seeing one of his PAs.  After the initial set-back and return to the hospital, I think things are progressing normally.  I am doing the PT routines as prescribed, resting, elevating, and icing.

Later.


--------------

The PT guy said this trip to the doctor is a big deal.  It was a car ride.  I have always found our CR-V to be quite comfortable.  In order to fold me up and put me in the car, the passenger seat had to be tilted way back.  I thought the crimp it put in my neck would be worse than the pain in the hip.  I was wrong.

Turns out the car ride was only the second most painful part of the outing today.  Putting me on the X-ray table and having the woman say, "Hold this position while I go to lunch, and then take a nap, before I take the photo," was the most painful.  Apparently, it order to see if the fake hip is properly placed, they have to put you in a painfully unproper position.  And then make bets around the office to see how long you can hold that before you pass out from the pain.  Third most painful part of the day was biting the inside of my cheek while trying not to cry like a little girl while the X-ray lady collected her winnings on my holding time.

Speaking of X-rays...


The young lady who looked at my X-ray and the incision said, "Everything looks OK."

"OK?  Just OK?"  I think I had that same conversation with the PT guy.  So, I am doing... OK?  I did challenge another guy in the hallway on a walker to "Wanna race 'em for pink slips?"  He was a lot taller than me, but I think I coulda taken him.  I was more aerodynamic: I lost 7 pounds since my last visit here... it may be my "working out," or it may be that titanium is lighter than bone (especially my heavy, dense bones).

We made it back to the car, back home, back up the front steps, and back into my "nest" (aka known as the lift chair).  I was exhausted.  Albert the PT guy was right: this outing was a big deal... based on how worn out it left me.  Joan did great with getting me there and back with a minimum of fuss; if she was worn out, it didn't show at all.



2 comments:

Bob said...

Jim, my wife had a replacement in her 20's (very bad head on car accident), it failed and another was put in (and five femur attempts as the bone failed - no more cut room left - it is fusion time if she breaks anything), and then a another revision when the 2nd hip just wore out. You have the new version that should last your life. Just wanted to encourage you that if you stay focused on healing and keep up the PT (my suggestion is to hire a trainer after insurance cuts you loose - you will lose mobility on your own - it takes manipulation by my vote to stay at full flex and motion) and shoot for your high school junior year weight, takes the load off the hip and back. By the way, your other hip is having to carry extra load and you are walking funny. The wife has more issues at times with the good leg than the "repaired" side.
Bob
PS: Nice post by you n the C-BRAT site about RV choices. I know things have changed but I really miss the Wild Blue posts. BJ

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob. Sorry to hear your wife had some issues. I am focused on moving forward. Not so focused as to try to get to 135 pounds (my junior in high school weight)!!

My other hip has been "carrying the weight" for several years. It is a cool thing to stand and have both legs be the same length! Walking funny? Yeah, I need to get this damn walker out from in front of me!

Re: RV choices - we have tried most of the different types of RVs over the years, and each has done what we hoped. It is important to pick a type based on how you will actually use it. I have to chuckle when I hear people say they want an RV that "will sleep 10"... WTF?? Most houses can't handle a crowd that size. We have always been about the RV that will do what this couple needs.

Wild Blue was a great boat, but I have no regrets. Hopefully, the current owners are enjoying the heck out of it. I do not miss all the work that goes with that size boat. We did the adventures we wanted to do, took that great boat to the places that were on "our list." Right now, I miss being able to be out on our current boat - miss those cool dolphins. But (as mentioned above), the focus is on getting me mobile again right now.