Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Cover that bottom...

 

Not mine.  Yesterday, Joan asked me to check into getting the boat bottom paint refreshed.  Not necessarily to get the boat in any time soon, but to have it ready, in case we decide to put it in.

I never thought there'd be a time when I was indifferent about boating.  When we had the C-Dory, I could not have been more gung-ho about exploring new waters.  I've said it before, but I have to disagree somewhat with that old saying, "Find what you enjoy, then figure out a way to make a living doing that, and you'll never feel like you're working."  Somewhat true, to a point.  Once you are doing what you enjoy for a living, over time it changes how you feel about that endeavor.  Well, speaking just for myself.  Over the decades, I've had passions for music, photography, flying, boating... and as each of those activities intertwined with jobs, schedules, and free time, it became part of the job.  When something becomes the bulk of your day, it is nice to find something different to do when you step away from work.

I truly enjoyed the captain jobs I've had, but they were all... jobs.  Having the small pontoon, is a nice distraction... I enjoy getting out to see the dolphins.  Sunrise on the water is a treat.  But, even a small pleasure boat involves some work.  Getting it in the water, getting it out, cleaning it up, oil change, trailer bearings, replacing stuff as needed.  There is a difference when you are living on a boat, cruising daily, and when it sits at the dock, waiting for you to go out.

This morning, while riding my bicycle around the Village, I came across two guys doing bottom paint on a boat in an empty lot.  I visited with them for a moment, but their English was no better than my Spanish, and I think they were more concerned that I was going to chew them out for doing that work in a site here.  They had a tarp down and seemed to be careful in the paint application.

That led me to calling my buddy, Mike, to ask about his experience with a local boat shop.  Local as in: just a couple blocks on the other side of the bridge to get off our island.  He gave me a name and a number, and I visited with Angel... he shot me a tentative price (yes, I expect it will be more than that) and a time (I expect it will take longer to get at than he said), but I've put the bottom painting on the front burner.  Well, close to the front burner.

With my current feelings about it, I have no angst about needing to get the boat back in as soon as possible.  No, I haven't developed that mañana attitude, it just isn't a priority.  "Two and a half weeks" is what I was told for when he could get the boat in... gives me plenty of time to go through all the boat stuff to see what needs to be updated, replaced, cleaned, repaired; wears me out just thinking about it.  ;-)

--------

We did some running today, into Brownsville.  Of course, that meant a stop at Chick-fil-A... a box of 30 nuggets holds us for a while, interspersed as the occasional snack.  But, I'm not hooked - I could quit anytime.  If I wanted to.

Later, there was a quiet knock at the door.  The UPS driver was being more petite than usual.  Joan took the goodies she ordered out of the box and...


"I love this box - it's all I ever wanted!  Thank you SO much!"  The boy is very appreciative.  ;-)

 A bit later... "Oh, the box is even better now - it's a walk-in! When I lay down, I can see out. Best box ever!" (until the next one)...


 


No comments: