Wednesday, April 28, 2021

I'm so excited...

 

I just can't hide it.  I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it.

If you said, "The Pointer Sisters, 1982," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "What are you so excited about, Jim?"... I'd have to say I am allowing myself to get a little excited.  It has been over 10 months since we've had the boat out... we put it away before we left last summer; I had a pretty good idea of what I was in for with the prostate cancer diagnosis, and I didn't want to deal with the boat at that time.  Today - we got the boat out of our storage unit, and will be taking it in tomorrow to get fresh bottom paint.  I have done the last couple refreshes myself, but I'm not excited about crawling around under the boat these days.

It will probably be middle of next week before it is done.  I have been mostly indifferent about getting the boat back in, but I am now looking forward to some water outings again.

If I were picking a day to bring the boat in from storage, this wouldn't be it: the wind is gusting to 39mph here.  We pulled the boat out, checked tires, looked everything over...



... and started the haul back home.  At about 45mph.  No issues.  We stopped to visit with the guy who will be doing the work, and just confirmed (once again) that we are bringing it in tomorrow.  Yep.  I'm hoping for a non-eventful service experience.

It happens in 3s.  You may have heard that before.  Well, the fact is: no, things don't "happen in 3s."  But, it is apparently the case with batteries.  I put a new battery in the boat this morning.  It has been 4 1/2 years, and it was due.  When we pulled the motorhome out today (to get to the boat), the house batteries were discharged.  Six years on those batteries; we replaced the engine battery last fall.  These are due.  It takes two of the Group 31 batteries.  That will be my next project when we go out to storage again.


2 comments:

Jeff Collingwood said...

I'm confused. I have a pontoon boat also, but there is no paint on mine. My pontoons are made of aluminum, and they look nice, so I wouldn't want them painted. Is there somewhere else under my boat that needs paint maintenance? I have a Tracker Marine, 22 foot, fishing pontoon with 3 pontoons, and a 90 HP Mercury engine. My boat is strictly used in fresh water and will probably never see a different lake than our Bighorn Lake in Montana.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

In our warm Gulf water, if you leave a boat in the water for more than 10 days, you will have barnacle build-up. We have a dock at our home, and that is where the boat stays (unless in our storage unit). If you are launching/retrieving each time you use the boat, no bottom paint would be necessary. The bottom paint also makes it much easier to wash off the slime build-up. Every boat we've owned here has needed bottom paint.