Sunday, April 11, 2021

Two days, no blog post?

 

Are you OK?  Yes, thanks for asking.  It's a matter of binge watching, a side-effect of all the staying at home over the past year.  I blame my neighbor, David, for saying something.  When he and I were visiting a while back, he asked if I had seen the TV series Heartland.

"Can't say I have," I replied, and he told me how good it was.  I mentioned that to Joan.  And the rest, as they say, isn't really history, but but it seems like a historic endeavor.  Heartland is a series about a Canadian ranch family.  It only takes an episode or two and you're hooked.  I think there are 14 seasons, with about 100 episodes in each season.  Yes, I'm exaggerating... and I almost never do that.  There are a lot of episodes.

I would call this series wholesome, with some humor, a lot of emotion, and a family that has the normal angst of relationships, kids, occasional health issues, more relationships... my favorite character is the curmudgeonly patriarch, Jack, even though the principle couple is Ty and Amy (Jack's granddaughter, who he helped raise), and they grow through school age, and become an adult couple.  And a very large cast of characters.

By the nature of it, binge watching implies that you do a whole season over a weekend or so.  With so many episodes in this series, we haven't left the house in over a week, haven't showered in about that same time frame, and have eaten more bags of Cheetos in the past three weeks than the previous decade.  Yes, I'm kidding... I don't even like Cheetos that much.  ;-)  At our current rate of 12 episodes per day, we should be through the entire series by early June.  Kidding again - if we stay at it, maybe late May.

In the meantime, I have ordered a saddle, bridle, spurs, boots, Wranglers, and a horse from Amazon.  I'm all in.  Joan is, likewise, involved... there is a Joan-size indentation on the couch cushions.  Rufus goes back and forth between the couch and the Lazy Boy - referring to the recliner I sit in, not me.  I have had to give up riding my e-bike, e-scooter, and Vespa, because if I'm gone, I will be behind on episodes, or even worse: miss them completely.  Then, I'll have to ask Joan what I missed... and she doesn't want to tell me, because she might miss something while telling me what I've missed.

Fortunately, we're not obsessed, though.  We did introduce Steph and Dan to Heartland while they were here (they came in around mid-season 4, I think), but they've only managed to watch two episodes since they've been home (for nearly a week).  Lightweights.  Apparently, that whole having-a-job thing has cut into their Heartland viewing time... they need to establish priorities.

Gotta go - Amy is going into labor, and my formerly white t-shirt has turned mostly orange-ish.  Rufus just said, "Dude, if you aren't going to shower, you need to at least lick your paws."

 

Netflix... potentially addictive?  We've also coined the phrase, "Darn you Heartland," as we reach for a tissue.  Kidding again - as a potential rough and tumble soon-to-be cowboy, I hide my emotions.



No comments: