Thursday, April 15, 2021

Shave and a haircut...

 

If you said, "Two bits," you get 10 bonus points.  If you said, "What is 'two bits'?" you're a whippersnapper.  Two bits is a slang term for a quarter.  If you can remember getting a shave and a haircut for 25¢, you are a lot older than I am, making me a whippersnapper.  If you said, "What's a 'whippersnapper'?" get off your Mom's computer and go get your homework done... ya damn whippersnapper.  If you said, "Shave and a haircut - two bits, from a song written in 1899 by Charles Hale, made popular in 1939 by Milton Berle.  If you've read this far, you get 20 bonus points for wading through this.

While riding my bike the other day, I took some photos of the fog; took this one as a selfie...

 

That scruff coming out on the right side of my head (camera left) is not ear hair - it is from the palm tree behind me; although I have sometimes joked that I am thinking of doing a comb-over... with my ear hair, since it seems to grow faster than the hair left on my head.  If that doesn't gross you out enough, that isn't a mustache in that photo, it is a comb-over with nose hair.

I asked Joan if she'd give me a haircut this morning.  During the "staying at home" stuff, I could stay nicely quaffed, thanks to my live-in stylist.  My favorite part of getting an at-home (or on the road) haircut is getting the long black cape draped over me... "Rufus, I am your Father" in my best James Earl Jones (Darth Vadar) voice.  I think Joan would be disappointed if I didn't say that every single time.

After the haircut, I usually trim my beard.  I decided I'd "go fresh" for spring and shaved it all off...


That is a lot of upper lip.  My English side wants to keep it stiff.  My Irish side wants to laugh at it.  It's been a few years since I've seen my naked face... not sure if Rufus (sitting on the back of the chair behind me in the photo above) has ever seen my naked face.  Pretty sure his only concern is if he will get lunch on time.  I'm always on time.

I asked Joan before I shaved (since she has to look at my face more than I do), if she had an opinion... "Don't go with just a mustache"... seems I prefer it to go down towards my chin when I do just a mustache (Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider), and she likes it looking like a 1930s matinee idol if I have to have a mustache.  So... chop it off.

We'll see how long this lasts.  In the last 5 decades, I've had more time with face hair than without.  But, in the grand scheme of things: this is way better for eating ice cream.  ;-)


1 comment:

Bob said...

Cap - I turn 74 in late July of this year. I used to get my haircut when I lived in Crestline, California for 25 cents, my dad would give me 30 cents so I could tip the barber. I walked. It was almost 200 miles in the snow. There was always a "First Snow Fall Pool" or a "When Will Betty Drop The Baby Pool" sign up on the barbershop wall. Winner got half of the snow pool and the rest went to closer to right guesses. I think Betty got all the pool bets but she had to work for her money (as in "labor" - dirty word today, don't tell anyone I used it here). When you get as old as me (you will never be as old as I am, I got a head start) you can have The Blonde post pictures of your new titanium walker with speed sliders and maybe a shot of your shuffle board trophy from the hot time you had at the Rec Center for Seniors. I am north of 55 years with lip hair, not sure I still have an upper lip. See ya. Bob Jarrard Nevada Way