Sunday, October 2, 2022

It's a Two-Beaver Day!

 

Talking, of course, about Buc-ee's.  We stopped at a Buc-ee's just north of Fort Worth, passed by another one down the road, then stopped at a another about 45 miles north of where we're stopped for the night.  The fuel prices, as usual, are good: $2.88 at the northern one, $2.86 at the one in New Braunfels.  That is the first time we've seen unleaded regular below $3, and about $2 per gallon less than what we paid on our way north in June.  More about the second stop later.

We stopped at a large rest area about an hour out... potty, give Ruf a treat, and do a walk-around to check the rig...


 Today was about making miles once again.  We'll stop at one of our usual "last stops before home," dump and flush tanks, and start gathering things that we can move back into the house when we get home tomorrow.

Rufus was my co-pilot again...


He spent most of the day on my lap.  It's more convenient to be able to remind me that he needs another meal, or at least a treat.  Because I often forget to feed him.  Not.  But, he did get breakfast earlier than usual, so that throws him off for the rest of his meals for the day.  Don't worry - he got all his meals on time today.

We stayed an extra day at Winstar so we could drive this corridor between the north Texas border and San Antonio on a Sunday.  That usually works for us.  Plenty of traffic today...


That was taken as things opened up in our lanes, heading south from Austin.  Austin always seems to be the bottleneck, but it is definitely better on a Sunday than a weekday.

A nice treat at our second Buc-ee's stop: Joan said, "I don't need gas this time (the Equinox has a greater range on a tank than the motorhome, even though the motorhome's tank is about 4 times the size), so how would you feel about gassing up on your own and I'll stop at the In And Out Burger on the other side of the Interstate and meet you in Buc-ee's parking lot?"  She can read my mind.

Before getting to this Buc-ee's, I had said to Joan, "The size of these Buc-ee's stations is great - we can always find an open pump."  I should not have said that.  The place was packed.  I circled once and found an open pump with a car at the pump ahead of that one.  It looked like there was someone in the driver's seat in that car.  There wasn't.  It takes a while to fill the tank on the motorhome compared to the tank size on the typical car.  When I was done fueling, I went in the cab of the motorhome and filled out my fuel log.  About that time, a young couple came to that car in front of me... and started eating their lunch on the top of the car.

I got out and said to them, "You are going to pull forward and let me out of here, aren't you?"  They both laughed and said, "We don't have the keys."

I explained to them how rude it is to take up a pump after fueling and trap someone else behind you in.  They both laughed again.  I said, "You are lucky I have a cool head.  Someone with a temper may have thought your rudeness and laughing about it isn't so funny, and might drive right over your car.  They stopped laughing and about that time, another couple (the guy with the keys) showed up.  They took their time, but did finally move.  Little skinny jeans wearing Millennials who obviously got butt-hurt because someone called them on their lack of consideration for others.  Seriously, what person with an ounce of intelligence thinks it is OK to leave their car at a pump for a half hour while they go inside to get a sprout sandwich and a bottle of spring water?  Fill your tank, move your car to an actual parking spot, then go inside.  Dumb-shits.

We got into the RV park mid-afternoon, thanks to leaving this morning in the dark once again.  We can now take our time with the work we need to get done before putting the motorhome in our storage unit tomorrow.  Rufus may get a walk or two in.

One day to go - I think we're all ready to be home for a while.  


No comments: