Friday, December 2, 2022

A Milestone...

 

It has been a lot of miles.  Fifty years ago today, I watched that pretty Blonde walk down the aisle.  Walking towards me.  Of course, I'd like to celebrate this occasion in a way similar to our 25th Anniversary: by inviting you to join me in thumbing my nose at all those people who said, "They'll never make it."

The odds certainly weren't in our favor.  We were young.  We didn't have two nickles to rub together.  We started married life with the 3 of us.  In fact, for many years, it was "Three for the Road."  We traveled as much as our young married budget would allow.

When Steph got married and moved to Arizona, it was still the two of us.  We have always been there for each other.

As I look back and reflect, these 50 years have gone by in a flash.  Some people would mark this big anniversary with a party.  Or, a major trip.  Joan and I have never been "party people."  We will celebrate this day the way we live most of our days: quietly and together.  No major trip planned, because... the world is a different place.  And we agree that we're content to not be around crowds these days.

Allow me to take a moment to share what's in my heart: when I first saw Joan, I thought she was the prettiest thing I had ever seen.  I still do.  I would do anything for her, and I believe that is reciprocal.  I appreciate that we share the same views on most things.  We worked together most of our adult lives.  So, when we were able to retire early (see a theme there?), it was easy to see us spending our time together.  Don't get me wrong, we can each do things on our own... but we are better, and stronger, together.  I cherish the memories we built together.  I look forward to making more good memories.  Together.

Joan, I love you.  With all my heart.  I love the life we have built together.  Thank you for every day of these past 50 years.

 

3 comments:

Earl49 said...

Congrats, and very well said! My hot young trophy bride and I get to 39 years at the end of the month. But we’re just kids….

henry@7635 said...

A major anniversary! Congratulations...together you are "golden"

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Earl and Henry. We are three lucky guys.