Monday, December 19, 2022

Going Postal...

 

A couple decades ago, if you heard about someone shooting up their workplace, it was a US Postal worker... often enough that the term "going postal" was something we all understood.  These days, it is hard to understand what sets people off.

This morning, I needed to take a package to the Post Office; returning a pair of shoes to Kizik.  The last Kiziks I bought fit my fat feet nicely.  This pair didn't.  A different style.  Nice thing about buying from this company: if it doesn't fit or you just don't like 'em, send them back; they pay the shipping.  So, all I had to do was get to the counter in the Post Office and drop 'em off.

Easier said than done.  Yes, I know it is less than a week until Christmas.  Everybody is trying to get stuff sent.  Six people in front of me; one person working the counter.  And, in between waiting on the next person, the woman at the counter would go in back and bring packages to the front to toss in a bin.  Toss.  Literally.  Since there were that many people in front of me, I got to watch this in between each person.  Before she waited on me, she came back with an arm-load of packages, and on her way to the bin, she dropped one.  I thought: "She'll toss the other packages in the bin and come back for that one."

I was mistaken.  She kicked the dropped package to the bin.  Yes, really.  Then tossed the packages in her arms into the bin and picked up the dropped package and tossed it in.  It was like a bad comedy sketch.

No, I didn't comment on the "performance."

Fa, la, la, la, la, la...

--------

The house is full of good smells.  Joan declared this a "cookin' day."  While I went to the Post Office, she was making chicken noodle soup from scratch.  I got to smell the savoriness while the soup cooked down.  And then...


I am told there will be a (no sugar) chocolate cake coming this afternoon.

She likes to have music playing when she's cooking.  I came in and there was a kick-ass version of "Down to the Nightclub" by Tower of Power playing.  I used to play that one in my old band days.  I started moving around, and said to her, "I still got the moves."

She said, "Well, you might go find them, 'cause that isn't it."

Wow.  OK, maybe I never had 'em.  Didn't stop me from trying, though.  ;-)

--------

More good smells in the house this afternoon.  Chocolate cake is one of those smells like bacon: the should bottle that smell - it will attract men like flies on... um, white on rice.

Joan made a change to insure "portion control" - instead of a cake pan, she made them into cupcakes...


 No sugar, not many calories, and it tastes like... chocolate cake.  Really, no "sawdust taste."  A sugar-free frosting goes on, right before you eat the cupcake.  Creamy.  Tasty.  Most of these will go in the freezer for later enjoyment.  But, for now...


Every bit as tasty as they look.  My Honey is a great cook!

 



No comments: