Thursday, December 29, 2022

Pick any two...

 

It's an old builder's line: Fast, cheap, or good - pick any two.  You can have it fast and cheap, but it won't be good.  You can have it fast and good, but it won't be cheap.  You can have it cheap and good, but it won't be fast.

It reminds me of our weather this month: sunny, warm, no wind - pick any two.  Well, except for those days around Christmas where it was cold, windy and no sun.  But today, it is sunny and warm (high of 76º)... and blowing like stink.  Again.  Still.  Gusts to 45 mph today.  Oriented so it is coming right down our canal.

I did get out for a bicycle ride today; the "e" part of the e-bike helps keep the pedaling more consistent with and into the wind.  This afternoon, I took garbage do our island compactor (nicknamed "Jaws") - I took my electric scooter.  It has been weeks since I've had that out; and to be fair, I only use it for runs to the garbage and our mailbox.  The indicator light was showing that the battery was full on the way to the garbage (with the wind varying from tailwind to a crosswind).  A stop to pick up mail, and on the way back, the battery indicator went to "low."  In about a mile.  Pushing into a mostly headwind on the way back.

For full clarity: the e-bike and the e-scooter are two different conveyances.  The e-bike is a bicycle that offers pedal assist; a lithium-ion battery.  It is a nicely engineered conveyance.  The e-scooter was relatively inexpensive; looks like a wide skateboard with a seat and handlebars, and uses the old fashioned lead acid battery.  They do not overlap in how I use them.  The e-bike is my daily exercise (in spite of a dunbass neighbor who doesn't know anything about them, but called it "cheating" when Joan rode by him on her e-bike); the e-scooter is what I use to run errands on this island, much in the same way that most folks use a golf cart here.  It has a basket on the back that will hold a typical kitchen-size garbage bag.

--------

The wind died down to a mere 15 mph after supper, so I took Rufus for a walk.  What we saw along the way made me shake my head... mosquitos!  After days of cold weather, including one night in the upper 20s and a couple more in the low 30s, and then the last two days of gusty winds, I thought we were done with those flying vampires for a while.

I've heard that after the nuclear holocaust, the only living things on this planet will be cockroaches.  Pretty sure they'll have mosquitos to keep them company.


No comments: