Sunday, December 25, 2022

FaceTime...

 

We had a nice visit with Steph and Dan on Christmas Eve.  While it was the 4 of us on all the time, the furry family members all made an appearance.  Their three cats walked in front of the camera, mostly out of curiosity I think.  Dan brought their puppy Blaine (from the Guide Dogs for the Blind program) on camera for a bit.  Joan brought Rufus... so, everybody got to see and be seen on the call.

I like to talk to my kid on the phone; it makes us feel more connected (to me).  Before my Mother passed away (almost 12 years ago), I made it a point to call her every night at 9:00, in the years after my sister Joan passed away.  I was concerned that she might be lonely.  When I stayed with her for a few weeks after getting her out of a rehabilitation nursing home (after a broken pelvis due to a fall), I learned that she had a lot of people who visited her.  I continued with the calls until the stroke that took her.

FaceTime didn't exist back then.  But, I have to say I like it even more than a phone call... for some calls.  It was great to see Steph and Dan while we talked.  Mark and I have done FaceTime calls.

Maybe if "spam callers" had to show their face... nah, nevermind.  It isn't for every call.

--------

It was 41º when I got up this Christmas morning; warmer than it has been in several days.  I said I wasn't going outside "for anything" during this cold spell.  I had to eat my words and bundle up when the desire for a Russo's pizza struck.  A reason for the heated seats in the Equinox.

And then, that sweet face telling me he really wanted to go for a walk...


I told him, "I just checked, and, no, you don't want to go outside."  He wasn't deterred by my logic.

Joan said, "I'll open the door and let him see how cold it is..."  (33º at that time)

"Look at that fur coat he is wearing - the cold won't bother him..."  He stepped out the door and started on a walkabout.  I grabbed my winter coat and followed him.  Without his harness and leash, I knew he wouldn't go far.  We did a casual lap of the house - the boy was happy to be outside; you could see it in his face and his walk.  I figured that would be enough for him, but as we came back toward the front door, he made a left and started on the next lap.  No, he didn't have on his sweater or the "puffy coat" we recently got him... I think those are more for us than him, but he doesn't mind wearing them.  He was just happy to be outside after being cooped up in the house for a couple days.

The forecast for today and tomorrow is improving, with highs being back to normal by Tuesday.  And that is a gift.

--------

A Conundrum...

So many Christmas Day Facebook Memories... how to choose?  I couldn't.  One from a year ago...


That Vespa was a great scooter.  Yes, I miss it sometimes (but the CTX is a great bike).

And from two years ago...


That's my handsome boy.  Looking pretty darn Christmassy.  Plus, he's a good boy.


No comments: