Wednesday, December 28, 2022

I don't think I heard what you think you said...

 

You know how they say that people who have been together for a long time can finish each other's sentences and thoughts?  I get that.  That's not always the case, though.

This is generally a family-friendly blog, but you may not want to have your youngsters read this, unless you want to explain something you probably don't want to explain.

I was getting ready to get into the bathtub when Joan said to me, "We have guys in two holes now."

"What did you say?"

She repeated: "We have guys in two holes now."

I said, "You may be having a more active sex life than I am, but I am absolutely sure I don't have any guys in any holes.  Not now, not ever."

She was talking about the water district workers.  There have been two leaks in the past two weeks, requiring them to bring in a backhoe and rip out a couple good size holes... and now you're thinking: "Oh, that's the holes she was talking about!" Yeah, a bit of context would have been helpful... the work crews have opened those two holes up again, and have people working in them.  And to add to the fun: a couple blocks away, a construction worker digging on someone's lot with a backhoe busted a major sewer line, causing raw sewage to spill into that canal.  So, that's fun.

Before the "two holes" comment, Joan said to me, "You should probably clean up early today, in case they have to shut off the water."  I was still catching my breath from my morning bicycle ride.  Quite a bit of time passed between those comments, and she was looking at one work crew from the kitchen window she was cleaning.  So, the "two holes" comment make perfectly good sense to her.

But not to me.


No comments: