Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Be Vewy, Vewy Qwiet...

 

If you said, "What Elmer Fudd said to Bugs Bunny when he was hunting wabbits in a bunch of cartoons," you get 10 bonus points.  If you said, "You?  Quiet?  That's funny?" you lose 25 bonus points and Rufus is going to come to your house and poop on your pillow.  (He's very protective of his Daddy.)

I'm protective of my hearing.  Last time I had it checked, it was still very good.  Surprising considering years of rock 'n roll music, airplanes, and motorcycle riding.  I have been using Apple Air Pod Pro earbuds under my helmet when riding by myself.  I use a different helmet when Joan and I are riding together; one with a helmet communicator so she and I can talk safely from bike to bike.  I do generally wear a molded ear plug that works good with the communicators, and still cuts wind noise.

The Air Pod Pro earbud have ANC - active noise cancellation; they do a good job at cutting the wind noise in the helmet, plus they give me access to my phone (mounted on the handlebars) for hands-free music, podcasts, and receiving a phone call or text... "Siri, read that latest text to me"... and she will ask if I want to respond.

Apple came out with the second generation version (Air Pod Pro 2) about 3 1/2 months ago.  Yesterday, I saw that Amazon had them for 20% off - a rarity for Apple products.  Joan checked around locally and found that Best Buy in Brownsville had them at that same 20% off price.  She ordered them online for us to pick up this morning.  Part of her rationale: she was going to get Apple News, Apple Music, and Apple TV... if you buy these Air Pods, you get 4 months of each of those for free.  And then we discussed her taking my current Air Pods Pro.  Win/Win.  I suggested we stop at Chick-fil-A for breakfast before going to Best Buy... Win/Win/Win.  ;-)

After our chicken breakfast, we got to Best Buy about 10 minutes before they opened... there was already a line at the door, waiting to get in...


There were about 12 to 15 people ahead of us.  Fortunately, they weren't all going to the Customer Service counter, where Joan had to show the order on her phone and some ID, and we were done.  Back home again before Rufus woke up from his morning nap.

The new Air Pods are about the same size as what they are replacing, so just as comfortable under my helmet.  And, quieter.  Early Christmas.

--------

Transfer...

Taking a bus ride?  No.  I was getting a bit rusty on frustration, so... time to mess with a phone again.  This time, it is Joan's phone.  Fortunately, her "upgrade" will take a physical SIM card as well as an eSIM.  So, it was just a matter of moving a SIM card from her iPhone 8 to the 11 Pro.  Even with that, while we waded through the Visible app to change the phone over, it wanted to put an eSIM on her phone.

The transfer of data from her phone went relatively fast and easy.  Then, getting Visible to recognize that she has a new phone.  It is already listed on her account; we are just waiting for the service to kick in.  They said it may take up to 15 minutes... about 20 minutes ago.  Tick, tick, tick.

So, only an additional hour and a lengthy "chat" with a Visible rep... done.  Joan said, "Hopefully, we won't have to deal with this for 5 years or more."  I think she means during the next phone update... I hear the iPhone 27 is supposed to be really cool.

--------

The Winter Solstice...

Do not listen to the people in the media: today is not the shortest day of the year.  It has the same 24 hours as every other day.  It is the day when you will have the least amount of daylight for the year.  After today, we gain a few more minutes of daylight each day, until the Summer Solstice... when the hours and minutes of daylight will get fewer each day until... well, you get it.




No comments: