Friday, December 9, 2022

New Music...

 

If you said, "Hey, Jim, didn't you once say that there hasn't been any good music since the 60s and 70s"?, you get 25 bonus points.  Well, of course, there has been some good music since that era, but I was kinda making a point.  Mark gives me crap for "not picking any music from this century" when we're looking for a song to play.

And to that, I say: "Sure, I like some music from this century... but I keep gravitating back to the music of my youth."  What?  Yeah, that was a long time ago.  Smart ass.

Mark and I have been working on a new original for a couple weeks now.  Maybe longer than that, since he did have back surgery just before Thanksgiving.  And right now, he has family visiting.  Still, he got me a new demo Tuesday and another one today - he is in the mixing, "cleaning up," and engineering part of the project.  He likes all that minutia and dealing with the recording software.

My approach is a bit different... more like "one and done."  If I have to do more than 3 takes on a track, something isn't working for me.  I am not saying one technique is better than the other; I think it's great that we can work on projects together and each able to have our own style.

This new song is at the point where there isn't anything more for me to do on it.  Since I was set up for recording, I decided to learn a new old song and record it.  Yesterday, I picked the Simon and Garfunkel song Kodachrome... I like that song, but have never played it.  I spent a couple hours learning the song and deciding how I wanted to record it... I settled on: acoustic guitars, bass, drums, and vocals (lead and harmony).

I started recording it while Joan was at the grocery store.  She was back in time to have to hear harmony vocals (only that - no instruments, no main vocal).  When I came out from my music room, she said, "I think we will have to burn the word 'Kodachrome'... since I got to hear it a couple hundred times."  Sorry.

With it recorded and a quick mix, I had to decide what to do with it.  Since Covid hit, I have been doing the occasional "Staying at Home video"... I wasn't feeling a video with this one, so I uploaded it to SoundCloud; haven't done that in a couple years.

So, here's a new-to-me old song...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/kodachrome

Needless to say, I won't be playing that one around the house for Joan and Rufus for a while.  ;-)

--------

For those who want to know (and it is probably just me): the Blackstone electric griddle did a fine job with breakfast this morning.  Taste-wise, no discernible difference.  Joan thought the pancakes may have been better on the electric griddle, with a softer exterior.  My pallet couldn't tell a difference.  I didn't put down any oil for the eggs or pancakes on the e-griddle, but I did spread a teensy bit of butter on there, just for the taste.

I am calling it even for the use, a nod to the propane griddle for having more cooking surface, and a plus for the electric for the ease of clean-up.

No doubt, the cheesy potatoes will become a regular part of our breakfast repertoire.  :-)


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Nice! I like this song, and do it regularly. Maybe one day we'll manage to meet up in Phoenix again.

I still have couple of rolls of unexposed Kodachrome slide film in my camera bag (always liked it better than Ektachrome). But since the last lab in Dallas processing it closed some 15 years ago, it won't ever get used. Hey kids, look what we used to shoot with!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - there will be on-going generations who will never know the vibrance of Kodachrome. I did see on one of the morning shows that there is increasing interest in film cameras. After a lifetime of using those and having a lab that could do negative film, Ektachrome, custom printing, package printing, and a paper processor that could handle 40", cut sheet paper and long rolls, I was delighted to get away from mixing chemicals and make the switch to digital. We could do all the same things with a digital lab, without the fuss with chemicals or working in the dark... don't miss that one bit. We did not take in outside processing - handled only our own work. I did keep one Hasselblad and a couple lenses, for sentimental reasons.

But, I had fun doing the song!