Monday, December 5, 2022

Your appointment time is...

 

It's the medical profession - I get it: stuff comes up.  I finally found an internist who is cognizant of actually getting you in near your scheduled time, and... he retires.  I had an appointment this morning at 10:00 with the guy who took his place.  My second appointment with this guy.  He kept me waiting for over an hour the first time... after they called me when I was driving the 45 miles to his office to tell me they were "moving the time."  Not because they were running behind, but they wanted, at first, to move the time up.  We agreed on a time, I killed an extra half hour, still got there 30 minutes early, and they made me wait another hour beyond that.

Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant experience, because I feel it is necessary to say something when someone wastes my time.  Yes, I am retired and not on a schedule... but, when I make an appointment for something, and the party of the second part confirms that time... well, you know.

Today, I was 15 minutes early for the "be here 15 minutes early" time they gave me (so, a half hour early), and they kept me waiting another hour and a half beyond that.  To use the medical terminology: that's bullshit!  One other thing that being retired tells you: your time is limited.  If you waste my money, I can make more money.  If you waste my time, I can't make more time.

On the bright side, he told me to "enjoy a nice dessert once in a while."  My blood sugar numbers are significantly lower, because I did what I said I was going to do.  I also lost 6 pounds without trying for that.  He also said to stop doing the poke twice a day to keep track of the blood sugar - "Once or twice a week is going to be fine."  He wants to eliminate some of what I'm taking for blood pressure.  Apparently, I'm pretty freakin' healthy and he wants to run some more tests to find something else that might be wrong.  I told him, "No."

He asked, "Why is that?"

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I don't need to spend my days running from one doctor to another, just so they can all dip into my Medicare.

Once finally done with that crap, we did some other running: Rufus is now set for food to make it through a nuclear winter, and we bought some fine-looking New York Strip steaks and a chunk of prime rib.  Plenty enough to induce the meat sweats.  Still didn't buy any "sweet stuff."

The last stop before heading for home: to the motorhome.  Joan had some new bedding to put on there, that is a better match for the headboard she re-made.  I pulled the motorhome out of the storage unit and drained all the tanks.  We kept some fresh water onboard during hurricane season (just in case), and it will be about a month and a half before we hit the road again.  It is surprising to me that we have been home about two months... seems that there have been a bunch of "projects" to get done during that time.  I am ready for some time off.  And maybe a cookie.  ;-)



On the way home, I got a couple texts from Mark - he has more ideas on the song we're working on, and needs another harmony track from me.  I'll get on it tomorrow.  This song is my favorite of our originals so far.  Yeah, another "project."


No comments: