Thursday, December 15, 2022

Posted...

 

Joan hauled everything out from the storage area while I was out riding her bike... after I was done riding my bike, then making breakfast on the Blackstone e-griddle.  I was being a thoughtful husband, riding her Xmax to keep the battery charged up.  I'm thoughtful that way.

While on that ride on her scoot, I saw the dumbest thing in quite a while.  "What that, Jim?" you ask.  Hey, I was getting there.  A woman driving a minivan with Minnesota plates (it's always Minnesota) turned from a side street onto Gulf Blvd, drove across both driving lanes, then proceeded to drive up the bicycle/pedestrian walkway.  There are posts separating that walkway from the street.  So, it was the equivalence of that woman driving up the sidewalk!!??

And people wonder why I talk about the crazy drivers here.  Yes, some of the locals drive just as bad, but we are now well into the "Winter Texan Season."  She drove for just over a block down that bike lane, when someone on a bicycle stopped and the woman drove further to the right (she needed to go left to get back to the actual driving lane).

I got photos of all the stuff for sale and posted it on Long Island Village Classifieds on Facebook.  The Tohatsu motor sold almost immediately.  He took the Merc 2.5, too.  I've had a couple calls on the Hobie and the Tower stand-up paddleboard.  And a shit ton of people who can't read, as I specifically stated for people to call me and gave my phone number, which means I had to turn off the call blocking for numbers the phone doesn't know.  Those non-readers can't seem to understand that I am not posting my address so they can "drop in whenever they feel like it."  This ain't a retail store.  And people ask the price when it is posted right there in the ad. 

In the last half hour, a guy called, came by, and took the Tower Stand-Up Paddleboard and the blue Pelican kayak.  The main thing that is left is the Hobie kayak - I have that posted at $750, and that includes a two-wheel caddy and a sail kit.  If new, that would go for about 4 times that amount.  No, it isn't new, but it is in decent shape.  And will give someone a lot of fun on the water for the price.

That is a lot of "lifestyle" stuff going away.  No, I am not sad about that.  It is time to move on.  I don't want to take a chance on this expensive hip.  Good memories, though.  And hopefully it is going to people who will make more memories with it.

:-)







2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Congrats on the simplification. I have to sell our kayaks come spring. They have not been in the water in several years. Even with the new bionic knees, getting down and especially back up from a kayak is not feasible. And after the rotator cuff surgery (now coming up on four years ago) I'm reluctant to risk my shoulder by reaching out to brace. It has taken me a long time to get to this point of acceptance. I should probably sell the scuba regulator, fins, and other stuff too, since I won't be diving any more. Sad.....

Reminds me of Bill Engval comedy show titled, "Just Sell Him for Parts". He is a funny guy. My friends and I have a running joke. Every time we get together, the conversation always devolves into an "organ recital" as we cover what organs are failing, our surgeries, injuries, etc. We tend to be the youngest among the group but I'm holding my own with the stories.

And I hear you about people not reading. Trying to schedule business meetings all the time, I list the times that *ARE NOT* available. Sometimes even with bold, highlight and larger fonts. There is almost a 100% correlation for people choosing those times, resulting in a string of four more emails before a meeting is actually set. And this is with professionals like architects and other engineers that allegedly should be able to read.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Never underestimate... well, you know. ;-)

It took me a couple years to be ready to sell the kayaks. Even when Joan brought it up last week, I was thinking: "Hey, I could still toss a kayak in. If I want to."

She countered that with: "You can rent anything you want on the water, and someone else can store it and take care of it." It is hard to argue with good logic. LOL But, that usually doesn't stop me.