Thursday, December 22, 2022

Aerostat...

 

No, that's not a new model Ford.  An aerostat is a lighter than air aircraft, generally tethered to something on the ground.  There used to be one at the US Coast Guard Station on South Padre Island, but it was destroyed by some strong wind during a storm.

There is another one here...


 And just in time for a strong cold front that will be coming through tonight, with winds on the island predicted to be 50+ mph.

This aerostat is equipped with surveillance radar with a range of up to 200 miles.  It will be able to detect aircraft as well as movement on the ground and water.  One more tool in the defense of our southern border.

The day started out chilly: in the low 50s.  I bundled up and got out on my bicycle.  Today is supposed to be a gorgeous day... until that aforementioned cold front blows in tonight.  It didn't seem so gorgeous while I was out on my bicycle - cold and damp, fog.  I was wet when I got back from that ride.  I had to run an errand after that, and the fog wasn't letting up.

I made us breakfast on the electric griddle; first I've used that when it is chilly outside.  Yes, that does affect the temperature of the cooking surface.  Made it through our new 1/1/1/1 favorite: one egg, one strip of thick bacon, one sausage patty, and one pancake.  Each.  Joan heated up some of my favorite cheesy potatoes.  We are using no-sugar stuff, and this was actually a healthy meal.  And tasty.

After that, Joan gave me a haircut out on the deck; got to look good in case Santa Claus comes.  By 1:00 it had warmed up to 64º, the fog gave way to beautiful blue skies, very light wind... yeah, I needed to get out for a motorcycle ride... because it is going to be a while before our weather is nice again.  This one will have to hold me for a while.

Looking at the water of the Laguna Madre as I went across the causeway, it was flat and calm.  A gorgeous light blue.  In 12 hours, it is going to be a churned up snarl.  In the meantime, it was a beautiful afternoon for a ride.  Crossing the causeway was when I got the first view of that aerostat.  It is big.

I met Joan back at home.  She had been out to do a bit of grocery shopping so we can cocoon until after Christmas.  She had a surprise for me... sugar free chocolate covered peanuts (Russell Stover).  A lot of the sugar-free stuff we've tried hasn't been good; this one, fortunately, tastes about the same as the sugared-up variety.  I had mentioned to Joan the other day, "I am doing fine with skipping the sugary treats, but I sure do miss chocolate covered peanuts.  She found these for me and I am very appreciative.

Another griddling for this evening: smash burgers.  It may be too ugly to griddle the next few days.  Really?  Yes, really.  The weasels are talking about lows near freezing here on the coast (colder than that inland), with windchill in the teens!  Not what we are used to in the Tropical Tip.

There are warming shelters that will be available in towns around the Valley.  The local Police Department will be handing out blankets to those in need (Joan donated 3 blankets).  One of the local TV stations does a "coat drive" to give coats to those who need them ("Tim's Coats"); they've been doing this for 40 years.  It used to be: donate coats in good condition, and one of the dry cleaners would clean them before they were handed out.  Since Covid, it is now: please donate money and they will buy coats to be donated.  There is a need.

I am thankful that we have heat and an electric fireplace.  Some people are holding their breath, waiting to see what will happen with the Texas power grid after the fiasco with the severe winter storm that hit all of Texas in February 2021 and left much of the state without electricity.  Yes, we have a gas can at the ready in case we need to fire up the generator.  I hope it doesn't come to that.

I truly appreciated this gorgeous day.  We'll hunker down until after Christmas.  Stay warm for the holidays!


No comments: