Saturday, April 25, 2020

Anti-social distancing...


I got out on the Vespa today.  Not one of those rides around town where you never get above 30mph, but a real ride.  Well, once I got off our island.  The bridge was out for a tug and barge to go through...


With the bridge back in, it was up the street a bit, then take a right and onto the causeway... 2 1/2 miles of bliss.  I didn't take a camera with me, so my phone is it, and there is no way to hold the phone for a photo while riding.  Description: the water was blue green and lovely.

Across the causeway and onto South Padre Island, there was a Police SUV at the first intersection, lights flashing.  They weren't stopping anyone - I'm assuming they were just making "a presence."  The county opened the beach today, on a limited basis:


If the beach is open, it means there must be a relaxation of the "essential travel only" order.

I rode the Vespa up the island on the Padre Blvd (the main drag)... lots of places closed, including hotels and restaurants.  Everything looks good, but it is a startling lack of people.  I stopped on the main drag to take a photo...


On Gulf Blvd (the street that runs parallel to the beach), there were a few people walking, some on bicycles, a few in swimsuits.  Looking at one of the small beach access parking areas, no traffic.  Yet.


I expect people will start showing up.  Hopefully in a smart manner so things don't get locked down again.  I rode back across the causeway, through Port Isabel, and out past Laguna Vista...


Yeah, these photos look pretty similar, with no traffic.  There were quite a few people on motorcycles; almost all waved.  Being on a motorcycle or a scooter is a great way to socially distance.  Or, in my case of riding by myself: anti-socially distancing.

On my way back on the highway, I called Joan to see if she wanted to split a breakfast tortilla from Manuel's.  Those who know the area understand - this goes a long way towards feeling somewhat normal again.  Joe, the owner, came outside when I pulled up on the scoot.  I gave him my name and he went inside for a couple minutes... the grande-size tortilla was hot out of the kitchen.

Coming home from Manuel's, I turned at the Post Office.  There was a cute blonde chick in a Honda SUV in front of me.  We made eye-contact in her mirror.  I waved.  She waved back.  Chicks dig the Vespa.  Yes, it was Joan... she was on her way to the Post Office when I called.  Seems that someone is getting a cool cat quilt wall-hanging, as soon as Priority Mail can get it there.

The tortilla was delicious.


No comments: