Wednesday, April 29, 2020

It arrived.


The FedEx driver stopped at our driveway.  I waited for a bit for him to bring the new amp to the door, then put on some gloves and went out.  He was doing some paperwork while still in the driver's seat.  I asked if he had a package for me, and he confirmed the address.  He had a helper who was going to hand the box to me, and I said, "Just put it there on the driveway, and when you are back inside the truck, I'll get it."

"OK."

I opened the box outside, and Joan took the inner box out of that and wiped it down.  I cut open the seal and there it is... my new small amp.  It is surprisingly small... about the size of a 12-pack of soda.  Weighs about 9 pounds.

I took it into the music room and got ready to try it out.  First up: plugged in my Taylor T5, an electric guitar.  LOTS of different amp tones.  You can get some crunchy, boosted, high gain - all kinds of guitar tones, without having the volume at ear-bleeding levels!  I am impressed.

I played until my fingers were about wore out, then swapped guitars and gave it a go with my Emerald X10.  I tried acoustic and electric tones; it sounds like a dozen different amps, with effects (or without), and lots of EQ options.  I am even more impressed.

I tried a slightly crunch, bit of flanger on a reggae song... well, that was fun!  I set up my phone, plugged the Shure MV88+ that I've been using for videos and cranked this one out...


Only scratching the surface of what that amp can do.

For some size perspective, the yellow thing on the table in front of me is the amp...





No comments: