Sunday, April 5, 2020

The normal...


Not "the new normal," because we are looking at normal in the rear view mirror.

Last night, Joan said, "I'm going to the store in the morning."  As of the last couple weeks, her trips to the grocery store have been solo and early in the morning.  Even Rufus knows that isn't normal... "Psst - Dad... are you awake?  Mom is up, getting ready, and it's still dark out.  That ain't right."

We (the 3 of us) have our morning routine: I am up first.  I feed Ruf.  He eats and goes back to the bedroom to get some Momma snuggling.  Then, we all take on our day.

Before Joan went out the door... Keys?  Check.  Drivers license?  Check.  Credit card?  Check.  Gloves and mask?  Check and check.  As of yesterday, in our town, a mask is required if you are out in public.

Joan's report when she returned: "I was about 15th in line to get in, with drizzle and wind.  Six feet apart while in line.  Once inside, the store was cleaner than usual, and the shelves were decently stocked.  They even had toilet paper: Cottonelle or Scott.  I got everything we needed, except steak... they had a couple ribeyes, but they didn't look great.  (Not a problem, considering... well, everything.)"

Rufus and I hung out at home.  Normal for Ruf, but I generally go on the shopping runs, mostly to push the cart.  And to say, "Yeah, that sounds good," when my opinion is solicited.  Instead, I cleaned up and got ready to take on my day.  With no schedule.  At least that is normal.

Joan spent a bit more than a typical grocery run; probably because we are not able to go out for lunch.  And, consideration that we don't want to be making "quick trips to pick up one or two items."

We adapt and find our way through what normal looks like now.

-------------

I went out for a couple walks today.  On the first one, I visited with a guy (yes, from a proper distance)... he is here by himself.  I think he appreciated having someone to talk to.  On that walk, I didn't see anyone else (besides me) wearing a mask.

Back at home, we watched a couple movies today; one was a bit suspenseful, the other was mostly fluff.  Glad I didn't spend money on either, but it was Sunday afternoon entertainment.

Ruf was excited to have us here.  He sometimes shows his excitement by getting really comfortable...




The second walk was down to our mailboxes.  It takes me past the golf course.  The drizzly morning had turned into a nice afternoon... but, not a single person on the golf course.  I understand you can still play, but only 1 person to a cart unless they live together.  After a couple months in Arizona, it is nice to see greenery everywhere you look...


No mail, but it was a nice walk.  I did see a couple other people in masks this time.  I'm thinking that is only going to increase.


No comments: