Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Our boy is growing up...


Talking about Rufus.  He's the only other male in this household.  He understands that I am the Alpha male, but he does challenge that on occasion.  This morning, I was sitting in "the big chair"... it is Rufus's favorite place to lay down.  He did not try to oust me.  But, when I got up to use the potty, the chair was occupied when I got back.

We have other places to sit.  Frankly, I wasn't planning on going back to that chair, but it always cracks me up when he jumps up there as soon as I vacate.  Just to see how he would react, I said, "Rufus are you in my chair?"

This is the first time I recall that when I have spoken to him, I got no reaction.  Not an eye twitch, an ear movement, nor a tail flick.  Nothing.  I stepped right up to the chair and said, "Rufus?  Are you ignoring me?"

The answer was pretty apparent.  I put my face a few inches from his - "Rufus?  Are you ignoring me?"  No eye contact, no movement.  Joan and I both laughed.  While he's a sweet boy, he is also strong willed.  "Rufus?"  I was almost nose-to-nose with him.  He continued his gaze off to the side.

I know he hasn't been struck with Feline Sudden Deafness, because the word "chow" gets an immediate head snap, even if he is sound asleep.

My dear ol' Mother used to say, "You haven't really been ignored until you've been ignored by a cat."  And she was not a cat person... although she was always complimentary with Smoke, Molly, and Izzy.  I guess she was right.




No comments: